Sunday, April 22, 2012

I sat on the edge of the world last night.

At least, the closest thing to the edge as I've ever been.  Last night was my final night abroad.  And I got to spend it watching the 10:00 PM sunset over Reykjavik. 

Words are insufficient to sum up my experiences.  Pictures aren't enough.  Trinkets, postcards,  and t-shirts don't even scratch the surface.  What's in my heart and my memory is too much to begin to share with anyone who may stumble upon this goodbye letter.

I saw and experienced things that as a child I dreamed of.  I saw humpback whales in the bay of Reyjkavik.  I smoked hookah among a den of grizzly old men in Turkey.  I saw Michaelangelo's David and was struck by the grandeur of it, deep in my heart.   I ate pizza while sitting on the stoop of an old building whose steps were submerged in water in Venice.   I let a chocolate melt in my mouth in Belgium.  I drank a beer in a lively pub in London, enjoying the good spirits of all around me.  I stood on the spot where prisoners of war were hung for their "crimes" at an old concentration camp.  I saw a host of other cultures and people from all walks of life and what's in my heart are pieces of all these people, and experiences, and moments, and I will be basking in their glow for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

  1. wow! What an amazing journey. I'm glad we stumbled across each other. You will be in my heart forever. xoxo
    You are so good with words.

    ReplyDelete